BANGOR, Maine – The Husson University football team picked up its 11th straight victory at home dating back to October 3, 2015 with a 35-17 win over SUNY Maritime Privateers on a cool windy Saturday afternoon in Eastern Collegiate Football Conference action at the Dr. John W. Winkin Sports Complex.
Husson (4-1, 2-0 ECFC) wins its ninth straight ECFC game dating back to November 14, 2015, while SUNY Maritime (4-1, 1-1 ECFC) drops its sixth consecutive game to the Eagles and falls to 2-11 in the all-time series.
- John Smith carried the ball 30 times for 217 yards and a score.
- Cory Brandon completed 15-of-24 pass attempts for 234 yards and three touchdowns to become Husson's all-time career passing touchdown leader with 39.
- Robenson Saintard finished the game with 127 all-purpose yards (89 rec, 38 rush) and a score.
- Luke Washburn finished with 11 tackles (10 solo), one sack, two tackles for loss and four quarterback hurries.
- Antonio Rocha recorded nine tackles (eight solo) and an interception.
- Quan Soyini and De'Wayne Smith each had an interception, while Soyini returned his to the house.
FOR SUNY MARITIME:
- Thomas Wright went 12-for-34 for 214 yards and a touchdown with three picks.
- Wright also carried the ball 15 times for 2 yards and a touchdown.
- Brandon Drumgole hauled in a team-high six catches for 101 yards and a score.
- Defensively, Kendal Parker registered a game-high 18 tackles (14 sole, four assisted, one sack, 2.0 TFL).
- Liam Bailey noticed 10 tackles (six solo).
- Husson struck for the game's first touchdown at the 4:47 mark of the first. Brandon completed a 13-yard pass to Kyree Calli.
- The Eagles went up 14-0 less than two minutes later, as SUNY Maritime's ensuing possession ended in a three and out and Saintard caught Brandon's second of the day for a 44-yard touchdown on the fourth play of Husson's drive.
- Matt Murphy put the Privateers on the board 44 seconds into the second with a 22-yard field goal.
- A Wright one yard run with 1:33 remaining in the first half cut the Eagle lead to four, 14-10.
- Six plays into SUNY Maritime's first drive of the second half, Soyini picked off a Wright pass and returned it 75 yards extending the Husson advantage to 21-10. The 75 yard pick six was by Soyini is the third longest interception return in a single-game in program history.
- Rocha's interception in the Husson end zone setup Brandon's third touchdown of the afternoon this time a 21-yard pass to Kyle Gaudet pushing the Eagle lead to 28-10 with 13:04 remaining in the game.
- After the Privateers force the Eagles to a three and out Wright capped off a 3-play 30 yard drive with a 14-yard touchdown pass to Drumgole to trim the Eagle lead to 28-17 at 9:27 mark of the fourth.
- A muff punt by the Privateers with less than 3:00 minutes remaining in the game, gave the Eagles the ball back deep inside SUNY Maritime territory and two plays later J. Smith broke loose for a 40-yard touchdown run to cap off the 35-17 victory.
- Husson piled up 481 yards of total offense, averaging 7.1 yards per play.
- Husson finished with 247 yards rushing on 44 carries (5.6 per rush).
- The Western New England defense, which surrendered 315 yards of total offense (214 pass, 101 rush) to SUNY Maritime (4.5 yards per play), was particularly tough on third down, allowing the Owls to convert on just five of their 17 attempts (29%), while forcing five turnovers and sacking Wright five times.
Husson will host Castleton next Saturday on Homecoming weekend. Kickoff is set for 1:00 p.m.
SUNY Maritime returns home to host Anna Maria for a 2:00 p.m. ECFC game.